Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 11, 2023

March Events posting Early. Roads and. Trails Etc.

Since the world still going around am hoping to get the next month set up. We will be covering more roads and trails that affected our researching for Ancestors. As we already know many, roads and highways. are Indian trails, and wagon trails across the USA>. Now I have three of Bill Dollarhides, trails & roads books and I see he did another I missed some years back. I may go and try to find it. Having a family story Mom and I tracked or tried to for years. Maybe these will help to find the missing pieces. One would think if it broke, a just made treaty with the Indians it would have been easy to locate. The interesting thing was the man shot an Indian even after being told, warned and reiterated often to not shoot the Indians if they run along the side of the train. It was accepted in the Treaty to observe the people in the train cars. Grandmother Inez Scott Hoffman told us this story for eons. My two cousins and I would be sat on the hay baler and Grand Dad shared stories. Then He would have us go see Grandma for more stories. Grandma's eyes would be like black and sharp and glistening, she was very upset every time she told this story. (I think the person given to Indians may have been kin). Yes that is what happened. The Conductor came with help and asked whom did the shooting? The passengers responded to the man whose gun was still emitting smoke. I can not remember what his comment was but it was something to say, that they wouldn't really honor such an agreement. But they DID. Grandma said no one heard from that man ever again. It took three men to get him down the stairs and to the Indian in the lead. Fortunately, it saved all the other passengers and the Indians did not attacck other trains afterwards. But Grandmother's attitude made me always think it may have been kin? Eons later I learned my Grandmother had a touch of Indian in her heritage. So maybe it was the Indian killed she was related to but I do not think so. One never spoke about them in front of her. Learned over the years we have lots of tidbits of Indian heritage in our background. A couple of the tribes I have been able to find. One tribe found me, whoopee. These events took place many years ago so much of the heritage has diminished. I am still proud to have multi heritage in my background. After all Europeans had the same things happening with them in their earlier times. History does repeat itself. We have no control over it. We can only control how we treat people and want people to treat us. I do have other Indian stories that family experienced around Grandma and their mentioning of Indians. But Grandad Cecil Leroy Hoffman had many many stories to share about his families past. We heard many more stories of his than hers. The only other one I strongly remember was their trying to learn if she was related to the Lindbergs. This event will take place 21 March at the Bonita Sunnyside Library at 1 pm to 3 p m. WE do have a meeting 21 February also regardings trails and roads and travel. All are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment